The Ecosystem of Consciousness: A Scientific Explanation for the Near Death Experience
A Scientific Explanation for the Near Death Experience and Other Nonlocal Experiences
One barrier to understanding non local phenomena such as near death experiences and remote viewing is that we do not, as yet, have a comprehensive scientific model for such experiences. At the Institute for the Scientific Study of Consciousness, this is one of our priorities.
John Peter Thompson and I have developed such a model and are in the process of having it peer reviewed and sent out for publication in the scientific literature. First stop, Nature!
We need your help.
We recently posted a YouTube video discussing the new theory.
Here are the scientific references that are the basis of the video. If you know of better ones, please email me through firstname.lastname@example.org <email@example.com>; the same for any corrections, improvements, problems with the theory etc. Let the scathing and cleansing fires of peer review begin even before the scientific peer review.
1. Rew L: Intuition:
Concept Analysis of a Group Phenomenon.
Advances in Nursing Science 1986 8(2) 21-28
2. Bernstein P: What Science Says (So Far) About
What Intuition is and How It Works. (Chapter) in Bucherri R: Endophysics, Time,
Quantum, and the Subjective. World
Scientific Press, Singapore, 2005.
3. Greenlaugh T: Intuition and Evidence – Uneasy Bedfellows?
British Journal of General Practice 2002 52: 395-400
4. Marshall J: Surgical Decision Making: Integrating Evidence, Inference and
Experience Surgical Clinics of North America Volume 86, Issue 1 February
2006 Pages 201-215
5. Rew L, Barrow EM: State of the Science: Intuition in Nursing, A Generation of Studying the Phenomenon. Advances in Nursing
Science January/March 2007 Vol 30 (1) 15-25
6. McCraty R, Atkinson M, Bradley RT: Electophysiological Evidence of Intuition:
Part 2. A System Wide Process?
Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine Vol 10, No 2, 2004
7. Bechara A, Damasia H, Tranel D et al: Deciding Advantageously Before Knowing the Advantageous Strategy Science 28 February 1997 Vol
275 no 5304 pp 1293-1295.
8: Bierman DJ, Radin DI. Anomalous anticipatory response on
randomized future conditions. Percept Mot Skills 1997;84:689–690.
9. Don NS, McDonough BE, Warren CA. Event-related brain potential (ERP) indicators of unconscious psi: A replication using subjects unselected for psi. J Parapsychol 1998;62:127–145.
10. Wachtler T, Albright
TD, Sejnowski TJ: Nonlocal interactions in color perception: nonlinear
processing of chromatic signals from remote inducers. Vision Research 41 (2001) 1535-1546
11, The Biology of Information Processing: Munich
Center for Neuroscience Webpage, accessed August 7, 2011 http://www.mcn.lmu.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=121
12: Targ, R. and Puthoff, H. (1975) “Information transfer under
conditions of sensory shielding.” Nature, 251, 602-607.
13: Radin D: Non local Observations as a Source of Intuitive Knowledge Explore 2008;
4:25-35.© Elsevier Inc. 2008)
14. Josephson BD, Palikari-Viras F: Biological Utilization of Quantum
Nonlocality. Foundations of Physics,
Vol. 21, pp. 197-207, 1991, (c) Plenum Press.
15. Shepherd GM, Brayton RK,
Miller JP, Segev I, Rinzel J, Rall W. Signal enhancement in distal cortical
dendrites by means of interactions between active dendritic spines. Proc
Natl Acad Sci USA 1985;82:2192–2195.
16. Ben-Jacob E, Cohen I,
Levine H: . Cooperative self-organization of microorganisms. Adv Phys
17. Aspect, A et all: Experimental Tests of Realistic Local
Theories via Bell’s Theorem, Phys. Rev. Lett. 47, 460
18. Aspect, A et all: Experimental Realization of
Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen-Bohm Gedankenexperiment: A New Violation of Bell’s
Inequalities, Phys. Rev. Lett. 49, 91 (1982),
19. Aspect A, et al: Experimental Test of Bell’s Inequalities
Using Time-Varying Analyzers, Phys. Rev. Lett. 49, 1804 (1982),
20. Leibovici L: The Effects of Remote Retroactive Intercessory Prayer on Outcomes in Patients with Bloodstream Infections: Randomized Controlled Trial British Medical
Journal 2001 323: 1450-1451
21. Gauger EM, Rieper E, Morton JJ et all: Sustained Quantum Coherence and Entanglement in the Avian Compass. Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 040503 (2011)
22. Jianming C, Gian GG, Briefel HJ: Quantum Control and Entanglement in a Chemical Compass. Phys Rev Lett 104, 2200502 (2010)
23. Davies P in Information and the Nature of Reality Davies P, Gregersen NH, (Eds)
Cambridge University Press Cambridge UK 2010
24. Kim Y, XinJ, Qi Y. Hear Res. 2006 May;215(1-2):84-96 A study of
hearing aid gain functions based on a nonlinear non local feed forward cochlea
25. Hansen T, Neumann H. Vis Neurosci. 2003 Jan-Feb;20(1):85-96. Nonlocal origin of response suppression from stimulation outside the classic receptive field in area 17 of the cat.
26. A. Kurakin, ―Self-organisation vs watchmaker: stochastic gene expression and cell differentiation‖, Dev. Genes. Evol. xxx 1 (2005).
top down causation
27. Neural Comput. 2004 May;16(5):1013-37. Neural mechanisms for the robust representation of junctions.
28. Information and its role in nature Roederer J, Springer Berlin 2005
29. Chen Yu. 2001. Complex Adaptive System Theory and Its Applications: Foundation,Contents and Implication. Renmin
University of China
30. Eisenhardt K, Zbaracki M. Strategic decision
making. Strategic Management J 1992;13:17–37.
31. Agor W. Intuitive Management: Integrating Left
and Right Brain Skills. New Jersey: Prentice Hall, 1984.
32 ) Patterson EF: The Philosophy and Physics of
Holistic Health Care: Spiritual Healing as a Workable Interpretation. J of Advanced Nursing 1998 27 287-293
33) Bradley R 2010: Passionate Attention and the
Psychophysiology of Entrepreneurial Intuition: A Quantum Holographic
Theory. International Journal of
Entrepreneurialship and Small Business Vol 9 No 3 324-348
34. Guyatt G, Cairns J, Churchill D et al: Evidence Based Medicine: A New Approach to
Teaching to Practice of Medicine Journal
of the American Medical Association vol 268 Issue 17, 1992 242—2425
35. Why Do Doctors Use Treatments That Do Not Work? (ed) British Medical Journal
Volume 328 28 February 2004 474-475
36. Isaacs D, Fitzgerald D: Seven Alternatives to Evidence Based Medicine. BMJ 319, 1019, 1999
37) Cox K: Clinical Practice is Not Applied Scientific Method. Aust NZ J Surg 1995 Aug
38. Jobst KA: One Man’s Meat is Another Man’s Poison: The Challenge of Intuitive/Psychic Diagnosis to the Diagnostic Paradigm
of Orthodox Medical Science. (Editorial) J Comp Alt Med vol 3 (1) pp 1-3 1977
39. Lineaweaver WC: Intuition and Evidence Annals of Plastic Surgery Vol 61 Issue 2
August 2008 Pages 125-126
40. Shaneyfelt T, Baum KD, Bell D: Instruments for Evaluating Evidence Based
Medicine in Evidence Based Practice Journal
of the American Medical Association 2006 vol 296 no 9 1116-1127
41. Feirrara AP, Feirrara RF, Rajgoi D, et al: Clinical Reasoning in the Real World is Mediated by Bounded Rationality. PLOS One vol 5 Issue 4 April 2010.
42. Devisch I, Murray SJ: We Hold These Truths to be Self Evident: Deconstructing Evidence Based Practice Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice
Volume 15, Issue 6, December 2009 Pages 950-954
43. Rew, Ruth-Sahd LA. Intuition: a critical way of knowing in a multicultural nursing curriculum. Nurs Educ Perspect.2003;24(3):129–134
44. G. Auletta, , G. F. R. Ellis, and L. Jaeger. 2008. Top-Down Causation by Information
Control: from a Philosophical Problem to a Scientific Research Program.
45. A. M. Turin. 1952. The Chemical Basis of Morphogenesis. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B, Biological Sciences, Vol. 237, No. 641.
(Aug. 14, 1952), pp. 37-72
46. Hans Meinhardt. 1985. Mechanisms of Pattern Formation During Development of Higher Organisms: A Hierarchical Solution of a Complex Problem. Berichte der Bunsengesellschaft für physikalische Chemie. Volume 89, Issue 6, (June 5, 1985) pages 691–699
47. ] George F. R. Ellis. 2005. Physics and the Real World. Foundations of Physics, Vol. 36, No. 2, (February 2006), DOI: 10.1007/s10701-005-9016-x
48. ] Nicholas H.E. Prince. Are Memories Really Stored In The Brain? A Quantum Theoretical Non-local Model of Human Memory. (Feb 26 2003) Journal of Nonlocality and Remote Mental Interactions Accessed On-Line December 8, 2011 http://www.emergentmind.org/PDF_files.htm/NickPrince.pdf
49. Lloyd S: The Computational Universe pp 92-104 in Davies P,
Gregersen NH (eds) Information and the Nature of Reality. Cambridge University
Press Cambridge UK 2010
50. Smith P, Swann I: The Controlled Remote Viewing Manual http://www.firedocs.com/remote viewing/answers/crvmanual/ accessed December 10, 2011
51. Schwartz SA: Opening to
the Infinite: The Art and Science of Non local Awareness Nemoseen Books Langley Washington 2007 pp 67-75
52. Kamman R, Marks D:
Information Transmission in Remote Viewing Experiments Nature 274 680-681
53. Karnes EW, Ballou J, Sussman EP et al: Remote Viewing:
Failures to Replicate with Control Comparison Psychological Reports 45: 963-973
54. Wiseman, R. & Milton, J. (1999). “Experiment
One of the SAIC Remote Viewing Program: A critical reevaluation”
(PDF). Journal of Parapsychology 62